vieux-nice.jpg

Cours Saleya

Rue Saint François de Paule - 06300 Nice

Built on the ramparts dismantled in the early 18th century, Cours Saleya, a pedestrian area in the heart of Old Nice, has become a picturesque part of the city, a must for tourist and locals alike.In this rectilinear baroque ochre setting, the flower and vegetable markets (in the 100 most picturesque market in France) are held every day except Monday, when they are replaced by an antiques market, provide a feast for the eyes and a delight for the taste buds.On summer evenings, tourists take advantage of the pleasant arts (paintings, jewellery...)

Construit sur les remparts démantelés au début du XVIIIe siècle, le Cours Saleya, zone piétonne au cœur du Vieux Nice, est devenu un quartier pittoresque de la ville, incontournable pour les touristes et les habitants. Dans ce décor ocre baroque rectiligne, les marchés aux fleurs et aux légumes (parmi les 100 plus pittoresques de France) se tiennent tous les jours sauf le lundi, où ils sont remplacés par un marché d'antiquités, et sont un régal pour les yeux et les papilles. Les soirs d'été, les touristes profitent des plaisirs artistiques (tableaux, bijoux...).

colline du chateau.jpg

Colline du Chateau 

Quai des Etats Unis - 06300 Nice

The “Castle Hill” was the site chosen by the Phocaean Greeks to set up their trading-post and thus found the City of Nice several thousand years ago.The site of the first town founded by the ancient Greeks, then the first mediaeval town, today’s Castle Hill (Colline du Château) has preserved only a few foundations and fragments of walls; but this park and botanical garden offers unique vistas over Nice and its surroundings, a surprising artificial waterfall, remains of the former 11th-century Cathedral, walkways paved with colourful 20th-century mosaics... Access: by lift (Cours Saleya) or on foot along rue Rossetti, Montée Monica-Rondelly and rue Catherine Ségurane

La "colline du château" a été le site choisi par les Grecs phocéens pour installer leur poste de traite et ainsi fonder la ville de Nice il y a plusieurs milliers d'années. Site de la première ville fondée par les anciens Grecs, puis de la première ville médiévale, l'actuelle Colline du Château n'a conservé que quelques fondations et fragments de murs. Mais ce parc et jardin botanique offrent des points de vue uniques sur Nice et ses environs, une surprenante cascade artificielle, les vestiges de l'ancienne cathédrale du XIe siècle, des allées pavées de mosaïques colorées du XXe siècle... Accès : par ascenseur (Cours Saleya) ou à pied par la rue Rossetti, la Montée Menica-Rondelly et la rue Catherine Ségurane

promenade-des-anglais-credits-photo-real

Promenade des Anglais

-

Nice owes this route its international standing!This famous seaside road is always elegantly decorated with flowers and follows the harmonious curve of Baie des Anges. Originally a footpath no more than 6 feet wide, it was widened by an Englishman, Reverend Lewis Way, at his expense in 1820 and the local population soon dubbed it ‘Chemin des Anglais’. In 1931, when it was given its final form with two roadways separated by a central reservation planted with palm trees, the ‘Prom’ was inaugurated by the Duke of Connaught, one of Queen Victoria’s sons.

Nice doit à cette route son rayonnement international ! Cette célèbre route du bord de mer est toujours élégamment décorée de fleurs et suit la courbe harmonieuse de la Baie des Anges. A l'origine, un sentier ne dépassant pas 1,80 m de large, il fut élargi par un Anglais, le Révérend Lewis Way, à ses frais en 1820 et la population locale le surnomme bientôt "Promenade des Anglais". En 1931, lorsqu'il a pris sa forme définitive avec deux routes séparées par une réserve centrale plantée de palmiers, la "Prom" a été inaugurée par le Duc de Connaught, un des fils de la Reine Victoria.

Palais_Lascaris.jpg

Palais Lascaris

15, rue Droite - 06300 Nice

Phone : 0033 (0)4 93 62 72 40 

Free admission - Guided tour on Friday at 3 pm.

Opening times : 10am - 6pm. Weekly closing : Tuesday and some holidays

Decorated in the Genoese baroque style, the Palais Lascaris has kept its monumental staircase adorned with murals and luxuriously decorated rooms. An apothecary’s shop, founded in Besançon in 1738, was transferred to the ground floor. Upstairs the staterooms and main apartments occupy the first floor. There is also an impressive collection of old musical instruments which trace an important part of the history of music.

Décoré dans le style baroque génois, le Palais Lascaris a conservé son escalier monumental orné de fresques et ses salles luxueusement décorées. Une boutique d'apothicaire, fondée à Besançon en 1738, a été transférée au rez-de-chaussée. À l'étage, les cabines et les appartements principaux occupent le premier étage. On y trouve également une impressionnante collection d'instruments de musique anciens qui retracent une partie importante de l'histoire de la musique.

Cath%20Ste%20reparate.jpg

Cathédrale Sainte Reparate

Place Rossetti - 06300 Nice

Phone : 0033 (0)4 93 92 01 35

http://cathedrale-nice.com

This church, which became a Cathedral in the 16th century, is the largest sanctuary in Old Nice.Inspired by early Baroque architectural models from Rome, the structure has a basilical layout; with a triple nave and a transept. The decoration of the side chapels and choir is particularly sumptuous and the interior reflects the influence of Saint Peter’s of Rome.

Cette église, devenue cathédrale au XVIe siècle, est le plus grand sanctuaire du Vieux Nice. Inspirée des modèles architecturaux du début du baroque romain, la structure est de type basilical, avec une triple nef et un transept. La décoration des chapelles latérales et du chœur est particulièrement somptueuse et l'intérieur reflète l'influence de Saint-Pierre de Rome.

Ope%CC%81ra-de-Nice-2.jpg

Opera

4 / 6 rue Saint François de Paule - 06300 Nice

Phone : 0033 (0)4 92 17 40 00

http://www.opera-nice.org

Located in Old Nice and across from the sea and perfectly integrated in the urban fabric, the Opéra de Nice was built on the site of the previous theatre, destroyed by fire.

Situé dans le Vieux Nice, face à la mer et parfaitement intégré dans le tissu urbain, l'Opéra de Nice a été construit sur le site du précédent théâtre, détruit par un incendie.

882883_10151957372328050_126429416_o.jpg

Coulée Verte

Opening times / Ouvertures : 7am - 8pm (Winter)        De 7h à 20h en hiver

                                               7am - 11pm (Summer)   De 7h à 23h en été

A true green path: there is a 12-hectare park right in the heart of the city, connecting the Museum of Modern Art and Contemporary Art (MAMAC) to the Théâtre de Verdure and the Promenade des Anglais. This vast garden will also be available for events (e.g. art exhibitions, fun activities and large scale events, etc.)

Une véritable voie verte : un parc de 12 hectares en plein cœur de la ville, reliant le Musée d'art moderne et le musée d'art contemporain (MAMAC) au Théâtre de Verdure et à la Promenade des Anglais. Ce vaste jardin sera également disponible pour des événements (par exemple des expositions d'art, des activités ludiques et des manifestations de grande envergure, etc.)

Place%20Masse%CC%81na.jpg

Place Masséna

-

Built in the 1840s, Place Masséna remains the jewel of Nice.On the north side, elegant arcaded buildings are painted with the famous Pompeian red and to the East, there is a splendid perspective on the hills with their Tuscan charm. The square was renovated in 2007, accompanied by the installation of artworks along the tramway: seven statues devised by the Spanish artist Jaume Plensa, titled ‘Conversation in Nice’ and representing the seven continents.

Construite dans les années 1840, la place Masséna reste le joyau de Nice : au nord, d'élégants bâtiments à arcades sont peints du célèbre rouge pompéien et à l'est, une splendide perspective sur les collines au charme toscan. La place a été rénovée en 2007, avec l'installation d'œuvres d'art le long du tramway : sept statues conçues par l'artiste espagnol Jaume Plensa, intitulées "Conversation à Nice" et représentant les sept continents.

Garibaldi.jpg

Place Garibaldi

-

The first extension of Old Nice northward, Place Garibaldi today is lined by elegant red façades with green shutters and vaulted porticoes, in which the Blue Penitents’ chapel, Chapelle du Saint-Sépulcre, is perfectly integrated.A statue of Giuseppe Garibaldi stands in the middle of this square that is central to the life of the city.

Première extension du Vieux Nice vers le nord, la place Garibaldi est aujourd'hui bordée d'élégantes façades rouges à volets verts et de portiques voûtés, dans lesquels s'intègre parfaitement la chapelle des Pénitents bleus, la chapelle du Saint-Sépulcre... Au milieu de cette place, qui est au cœur de la vie de la ville, se dresse une statue de Giuseppe Garibaldi.

prefecture%20cphotoDR.jpg

Palais de la Préfecture

1 Place du Palais de Justice - 06300 Nice

The palace of the Dukes of Savoy in the 17th century, a hospital during the French Revolution and the Prefecture when Nice became French in 1860, this building has been renovated several times.Today, after having had different functions, the Palais de la Préfecture is the home of the Préfet of the Alpes-Maritimes department and remains an essential landmark in Old Nice.

Palais des Ducs de Savoie au XVIIe siècle, hôpital pendant la Révolution française et Préfecture lorsque Nice est devenue française en 1860, ce bâtiment a été rénové à plusieurs reprises. Aujourd'hui, après avoir eu différentes fonctions, le Palais de la Préfecture est le siège du Préfet du département des Alpes-Maritimes et reste un point de repère essentiel du Vieux Nice.

misericorde.jpg

Chapelle de la Miséricorde

Cours Saleya - 06300 Nice

Phone : 0033 (0)4 92 00 41 90

Built after 1740 and designed by the famous architect Bernardo Vittone, the chapel has an elliptical nave, with semicircular side chapels.The wealth of the decoration inside, the originality of its volumes and the murals by Bistolfi make this a genuine gem of Baroque art, with exceptionally rich architecture. 

Construite après 1740 et dessinée par le célèbre architecte Bernardo Vittone, la chapelle a une nef elliptique, avec des chapelles latérales semi-circulaires. La richesse de la décoration intérieure, l'originalité de ses volumes et les peintures murales de Bistolfi en font un véritable joyau de l'art baroque, à l'architecture exceptionnellement riche.

accueil-notredame-photo.jpg

Basilique Notre Dame

Avenue Jean Médecin - 06000 Nice

Phone : 0033 (0)4 93 88 73 63

http://notredame-nice.com

The largest church in Nice and the first modern religious structure, the basilica of Notre-Dame was built after Nice became French (1864-1868).Inspired by the Cathedral of Angers with its two square towers, it is adorned with 19th-century stained-glass windows and a sumptuous rose window with scenes of the Assumption.

La plus grande église de Nice et le premier édifice religieux moderne, la basilique Notre-Dame a été construite après l'indépendance de Nice (1864-1868). Inspirée de la cathédrale d'Angers avec ses deux tours carrées, elle est ornée de vitraux du XIXe siècle et d'une somptueuse rosace avec des scènes de l'Assomption.

villa-ephrussi-de-rothschild-001.jpg

Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild - St Jean Cap Ferrat

06230 Saint Jean Cap Ferrat

Phone : 0033 (0)4 93 01 33 09 

http://www.villa-ephrussi.com/

Open every day from 10 a.m to 6 p.m / July and August: from 10 a.m to 7 p.m -Full rate: € 13

The Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild overlooks the Bay of Villefranche and the Bay of Beaulieu. It is located 10 kilometres from Nice and Monaco and 800 metres from the Villa Kérylos.

By road: access by the lower cliff road (RD6098). A free car-park is available on the site.

By bus: lines 81, "Plage du passage" stop.

By train: Beaulieu-sur-Mer station

Ouvert tous les jours de 10h à 18h / Juillet et août : de 10h à 19h - Plein tarif : 13€

La Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild surplombe la baie de Villefranche et la baie de Beaulieu. Elle est située à 10 kilomètres de Nice et de Monaco et à 800 mètres de la Villa Kérylos.

Par la route : accès par la route du bas de la falaise (RD6098). Un parking gratuit est disponible sur le site.

En bus : lignes 81, arrêt "Plage du passage".

En train : Gare de Beaulieu-sur-Mer

villa-kerylos-267014.jpg

Villa Kerylos

Impasse Gustave Eiffel 

06310 Beaulieu-sur-Mer

Phone: 0033 (0)4 93 01 01 44

http://www.villa-kerylos.fr/fr/home

Open every day from 10 a.m to 6 p.m / July and August: from 10 a.m to 7 p.m - Full rate: € 11,5

Villa Kérylos is located 10 kilometres from Nice and Monaco, 800 metres from the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild and 9 minutes from the SNCF train station in Beaulieu.

By road: access by the lower cliff road (RD 6098). A car-park is available near the city hall.

By bus: lines 81 "Kerylos" stop and 100 "Eglise" stop.

By train: Beaulieu-sur-Mer station

Ouvert tous les jours de 10h à 18h / Juillet et août : de 10h à 19h - Plein tarif : 13€

La Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild surplombe la baie de Villefranche et la baie de Beaulieu. Elle est située à 10 kilomètres de Nice et de Monaco et à 800 mètres de la Villa Kérylos.

Par la route : accès par la route du bas de la falaise (RD6098). Un parking gratuit est disponible sur le site.

En bus : lignes 81, arrêt "Plage du passage".

En train : Gare de Beaulieu-sur-Mer